Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Ear Surgery

In spite of the six thousand manuals on child raising in the bookstores, child raising is still a dark continent and no one really knows anything.  You just need a lot of love and luck - and, of course, courage.  ~Bill Cosby, Fatherhood, 1986

Dearest Grayson & Garrison,
Last week you both had ear surgery. The four of us drove to Fairfax and did some of your most favorite things: stayed in a hotel, ate out and went swimming!

The next morning we were at the surgery center by 6a. You both were such troopers and didn't complain at all that we had woke you up so early & didn't let you have anything to eat or drink.

The nurse gave you each a stuffed animal - Gigi a giraffe and Gio a bear - so you were instantly in love with her. You both were amazingly well behaved given the circumstances. We put you in your little matching gowns and talked to the doctors. The doctors and nurses had a plan in place of who was going first and so on and so forth. It put my mind somewhat at ease that they had it all figured out.

Garrison, you went first. Your dad carried you into the OR while I waited impatiently with your sister. It was so hard to see you being carried away from me into the unknown. It's a good thing I was distracted by your sister. Before I knew it, your dad was back and explaining to me that you fought the anesthesiologist with everything you had in you - that's my boy!  Soon after the doctor came in the room to tell us the surgery went well and that very soon you should be able to hear better and be pain free. Your dad went off to the recovery room to wait for you, while I stayed with Gigi.

Grayson, next was your turn. I carried you into the OR. It was such a scary looking room. The room was cold and bright with a big metal table and lots of people with masks on (including me). I had tears running down my face as I laid you on the big table and they put the mask on your face. The doctor asked you about your Christmas and you were so calm and politely told him about the different toys you and your brother got. I gave you a kiss and walked away. The nurse walked me back to the room.. I guess she thought I might try to stay near. Before I knew it - we were all in the recovery room. You both were awake and calm, no tears or screaming. We all snuggled as we waited for the anesthesia to wear off. 
Before we left, there were four more children brought into recovery. All four, were screaming and seemed to not have control over their actions. Which brought me to you two, both in obvious discomfort but in control of yoursleves.

I don't often take parenting advice from The Duggar's (or from anyone, for that matter) but something Jim Bob said years ago, has stuck with me. He spoke on how important it is for children to learn self control. That it is imperative in life that you be able to control your sadness, discomfort, anger, anxiety, etc. Since then, I have always tried to teach you to have self control (especially while in public). 

I couldn't be more proud of you, Grayson. You were incredibly brave and courageous, showing so much self control through your fears and pain. 

I love you both dearly and wish I could have taken both of your places that day. However, I am so happy that you are both so much healthier now. You both will be on antibiotics for such a short time longer, but are doing remarkably well. Garrison, you espicially! You started sleeping through the night(the day of your surgery)! Yes, 15 months you slept through the night for the first time! No more waking up 5-6 times a night. You must feel SO MUCH better! 

Now I know you both can hear me -- here's to hoping you both listen!
Love,
Mommy




No comments:

Post a Comment